At Triumph & Disaster, they believe that it’s good to sweat.
Sweat is one of the signs of a normal, healthy functioning system. Their ethos is to work with the body’s natural flow by working with it to limit excess moisture and control the aromas created through the excretion of sweat. It’s this control of aroma that they are most interested in. With their deodorant ‘Spice’ their goal is to limit body odour by impairing the bacteria that produce it, dousing them with hypnotic, fragrant notes to create an intoxicating mix of exotic moolah.
When sweat evaporates from the surface of your skin, it removes excess heat and cools you. Essential if you're in a desert. Unfortunately, when we are nervous or afraid, this also produces an increase an epinephrine secretion in our sweat glands, the palms and armpits to make sweat. Hence that 'cold' sweat we feel when asking out a hot date.
There are two types of sweat gland: eccrine and apocrine. When the eccrine sweat gland is stimulated, our cells secrete a fluid similar to plasma. It is mostly water with high concentrations of sodium and chloride and a low concentration of potassium. The apocrine sweat glands produce the same, however, they also include proteins and fatty acids, which make it thicker and give it an opaque colour. It's this type of sweat that bacteria love. Unchecked, they metabolize the proteins and fatty acids and produce an unpleasant odour. But that's where our Deodorant slides in to fight the bacteria.
This fragrance is a bespoke heady mix of Frankincense, Bay Leaf and Clove that collide to calm perspiration and neutralize odour. Spice - Deodorant’s ingredients are natural and organic. Its fragrance is exotic but light, evoking a sense of a wild night under the moon that we might have once had when nobody was looking. New Zealand Manuka, Aloe Vera and Kawakawa combine with organic Lavender and the natural benefits of Sodium Bicarbonate to calm perspiration and neutralise our body’s odour. So you can go ahead and Dance. Key Ingredients:
- Manuka Oil - Probably New Zealand's most widely used native plant. Everything from tonics and teas to lip balms and Honey are infused with Manuka's goodness and sold on our shelves. In our Deodorant, we use it for its calming and neutralising benefits to help bring odour under control.
- Kawakawa Extract - Kawakawa in Te Reo Māori refers to the bitter taste of the leaves, from kawa meaning bitter. Kawakawa or NZ Pepper Tree was one of the most important plants in Rongoa (medicine), Maori used it externally for cuts, wounds and bruises and also applied it as a treatment for toothache, nettle stings and eczema. All of which leads us to believe that it makes for a great ingredient in a cleansing, calming body wash.
- Aloe Vera - Most of us are well versed in the benefits and properties of this awesome plant. Ask anyone with sunburn what they are reaching for and the answer will be Aloe Vera. We use Aloe Vera for its all-around properties to help us inhibit bacterial and fungal activity. The calming & cooling effect of Aloe Vera adds to the overall sensation of our deodorant.
- Baking Soda / Sodium Bicarbonate - Baking Soda is alkaline, meaning it counteracts the bacteria-loving acids in sweat and acts as a natural balancing agent for armpit odour. This formula has been developed to be low pH, making it gentle on the skin, but strong enough to mask the effect of bacteria and the odour they create.
- Lavender Extract - They use a bespoke infusion of organic lavender as the vehicle to get all the other fragrance ingredients to the show. Lavender is your friendly train conductor doing all the hard yards to make sure the team is there on time and ready to play.